Sunday, February 5, 2012

Simple Sabbath: A Rough Week's Reflection...

Hey there, Peeps!  It's been a difficult week.  Gratefully, all is well.  With any luck, after the doctor's bill of good health tomorrow, life will officially be somewhat normal again.

This week brought some complications from the previous week's heartache.  It was a bit harrowing but there is much to be learned from it.  After regaining my reasoning abilities, I've been able to make sense of some of it...

I learned:
*That I have a physical response to people helping me.  Maybe it's my miserable and failed attempt to be Miss Super and Sassy Independent.  Maybe it's a deathly fear of being a burden, an imposition to others.  Maybe it's a bit of both.  All I know is that I tense up, my stomach ties up in knots and I get jittery.  I talk with my hands and use large gestures.  I probably freak people out a little bit...like the crazy lady walking down the street describing the world's largest donuts to the invisible police officer.  This is not healthy.  I need to be able to say thank you without showering people with enough chocolatey goodness and baked treats to somehow 'make it up to them'.  This is going to be a tough one.

*That hemorrhaging can be a very real, very scary danger for pregnant women.  I recently watched a documentary on women who deal with that very thing everyday in third world countries.  At the time, I just couldn't imagine.

*Whoda thunk that using certain types of drugs, such as antacids, in surprising applications, would create violent, unnatural responses that will eventually result in a female body finishing what it started but couldn't finish.

*That in a random, unexpected minute, your arms could ache for a baby you never actually got to meet.  (For me, it was in the scrapbook sticker aisle at Hobby Lobby on Friday night.  For He-Man, it was today at church, during the blessing of a baby.  He leaned over to me and whispered, "I'm a little sad."  I almost lost it.  This is coming from a man who has a fully operational 'Robot-Mode')


I marvel:
*That those very personal, very unique moments when you're wrestling with yourself, with God, with natural laws, such as gravity, the hardest wrestle can be with YOU.  Getting yourself out of that personally inflicted head-lock is a bit tricky...let's just hope you're not doing it at the same time you're in a tree.  (How's that for a visual?)

*From one whose probably eaten 1,768,243 strawberries and crunched (because I don't have the patience to suck) 4,378 lemon drops in my lifetime, that those post-ER treats have NEVER tasted so good.  (Thank you, Elizabeth, Cari and Syndee)

*How one can say "Today, my friend had to help me walk to the bathroom, push me down a hall in a wheel chair AND as an added bonus I even dropped my pants in front of them..." and it NOT be after a frat party. (I'm sorry you had to see that.)

*How it can seem like the world is closing in on you but the moment that ONE person walks into the room, the clouds part just a little bit.  (I totally would have made out with him too but it seemed wildly inappropriate given the circumstances.)

*How sharing the marvelous news that someone very close to you (super-top secret...you're not gonna hear it from me!) is expecting a baby can heal your soul and breathe hope into your heart once again.

I wonder:
*How it was discovered that shoving particular medications into unrelated orifices would actually create a whole new spectrum of applications for said drugs.

*Who volunteers to be the guinea pigs?

*Would you put that on your resume?

How's that for food for thought?

Here's to a brand new week and a fresh perspective.  Happy February, Everyone!



4 comments:

moultriefam said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry this has been such an ordeal from you. I pray this week is a lot better for you.

nanadover said...

Well...(with tears in eyes), I am grateful that you are recovering and looking forward, And...I am wagering a tummy ache that you will never look at antacids the same again! Sending prayers and hugs, and good wishes your way!

Beeks by the Lake said...

Guess what? It took 9 months of debilitating cancer treatment for me to get over feeling like I immediately had to pay someone back for their kindness. I want to share with you what I learned. I learned that I don't have to pay anyone back. Heavenly Father blesses them. I get to pay it forward. During your lifetime you will find out about someone else going through something similar. You will at that time be filled with strength, energy, and the knowledge you have received from this experience. You will be able to uplift and strengthen them. It most likely will not be those who have helped you. Your helping someone else will make the efforts of those helping you right now all worth it. It took me 4 years after completing cancer treatment before I was able to help someone on a consistent basis. Her name is Jenny. And Heavenly Father has helped to heal me emotionally through this service. And I've been able to give her a break from cooking after many chemos and many surgeries. She has no idea how much this has helped me. You will eventually be there. Don't rush it. Compassion and healing go hand in hand.

Rosa said...

Ahhhhhh! Big hug sweetie.

I, also, cannot suck hard candy. Can. Not. LOL

I'm glad you're healing. What a rough ride.