Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Glorious Sisters and our Second Annual Girl's Retreat...

Growing up I desperately wanted sisters. Alas, I was given the greatest set of brothers a girl could ask for. A few of them even endured me dressing them up in doll clothes and painting their fingernails. (I really, really hope I didn't give any of them a complex.)

Even more, I married a man with 5 brothers and only one sister. However, that one sister-in-law and the other 5 (almost 6) sisters-in-law from both families have become everything I imagined sisters could be. They are some of the greatest, most gifted people I know.

We have been through so much together. We have shared in one another's joy and mourned together, laughed together, prayed and fasted together. With each passing year I am astounded by how each of them refine their unique talents and better themselves.

This weekend, we celebrated our friendship and sisterhood with the Second Annual Girl's Retreat. It starts on Friday and ends with the Annual LDS Relief Society Broadcast that ends on Saturday night. Our very sweet husbands take the kids on their own adventure and we take over a home for 24 hours. Hosting events such as these is right up my ally, so it's been held at my house so far.

One of the funnest aspects of this retreat is that it's all inclusive. This year we were entreated with the presence of our mother-in-law who lives in Germany. It was wonderful to have her here...you know the matriarch of the outfit really helps you appreciate where it all started! So, if you are a girl and don't mind being adopted into the Sisterhood of (our last name) we would gladly have you join us. So mark your calendars for next year and plan on getting little sleep, eating yummy chocolates and having a lot of fun...



Late at night, after the moonlight yoga, pedicures and spa treatments we spent some time doing personal meditation. We didn't have someone to take our picture so we did our best to take it ourselves.

This is Em and I. We have been kindred friends for a very long time. She is my hero in so many ways!



One of the activities was writing "I am" statements all over the house.



We also made self portraits. They were supposed to be of ourselves, not how we want people to see us, but what we really are.







Our 'almost' sister-in-law, Alisa is marrying Tanner in December. She just purchased her wedding boots and they are so CUTE! They match her saucy, spunky, beautiful personality!













What retreat wouldn't be complete without chocolate?! We spent the first part of the evening in a spa setting, with healthy treats to munch the enjoyed dessert later.














Now this is where it takes a turn...and gets even better. You know how when you stay up after midnight and everything gets even goofier? Your head spins, stomach aches and you can't close your eyes for too long or you will fall asleep, but you are laughing so hard you don't care?

At 3:00 in the morning, we kidnapped our 'almost' sister-in-law and gave her a real Sisterhood Induction Ceremony....

We howled at the moon, danced and pranced, and painted our faces. I really hope we didn't wake up the neighbors or break the trampoline when we ignored the weight restrictions.

Jamie gets her face painted by a mystery finger.

















From left to right, Em, me-'the ham', and the brilliant brains of this outfit, Heather. She has the Midas Touch and knows how to make these events unforgettable.

Does this photo need any introduction?








































Another one of those self-administered photographs. We tried to get everyone in, but we were in the center of the trampoline and is was giving way too the weight and we were falling all over the place!

After sleeping in, we gathered together for the service project part of our retreat. When our family lost little Hannah last year a world of opportunity of service opened up. Our sweet, heroic Jamie (Hannah's mom) had the idea to serve by making blankets and clothing for children who pass away in the hospital or who are stillborn. The program coordinator uses these donations to clothe the babies and photograph them for their parents.

The hard part about this project was knowing what service these sweet, little blankets would render but Jamie has shared with us how wonderfully supportive the hospital staff was during their grieving. That just reaffirms the importance of the project.



After our work, we went to a late lunch at our favorite eatery, Zupas. It's amazing how even after talking for nearly 24 hours, we still have plenty to say!

Finally, to finish off the evening, we gathered ourselves together and attended the Broadcast. It was a wonderful way to end the night by filling our spiritually buckets.

I love these sisters as though they were related by blood. They are light to my life and strength to my heart. I truly hope they will never doubt how much they mean to me.

My invitation at the beginning of the post was sincere. If you care to join us next year, our door is open!

9 comments:

MaryRuth said...

Trishelle! What a fabulous idea!! I love it!!! Sister (blood, borrowed or married) are the best!!

Eric said...

You are truly amazing....what a great gift you enjoy by having so many fabulous sisters-in-law!!!! I love the face painting moonlight dancing etc- I have always wanted someone to do that with :) Looks like an awesome time. Please tell you soon to be SIL that her boots are FAB-U-LOUS! loveyouSyndee

Jen said...

That looks like some good wild and crazy fun - balanced by service and love. Wish I could've been there! I'm going to try to put something like that together for my sisters and sister's in law. AWESOME!
Love ya! Jen

Kelley said...

What fun! It looks like you had a WONDERFUL time! Nothing like girl time to rejuvenate and fill up those buckets.

If I'm in the area next year, I'll definitely come. :)

Diane said...

I just have to comment! I apoligize for not making myself known sooner, I have been following your blogs for a little while as I adore all things Duncan.

What a wonderful time you had. I am truly envious. Alisa is a lucky girl. Great husband-to-be, amazing in-laws, and all of you as sisters. What more is there? Please tell everyone hello for me. Diane from Kwajalein.

Daya said...

Oh Trishelle I love you!!!!! I so wish you still lived here! Looking through your midnight pictures completely reminded me of a favorite camping trip of mine and a fabulous game of Apples to Apples. It's a wonder they didn't kick us out!

Desiree said...

What a great idea to have such a fun night and end with the women's broadcast. How lucky you are to have such a great group of sisters.

Kirstin said...

You guys are so awesome! What fun!!!
And what a GREAT IDEA!

Deanna said...

Looks like a blast. How fun! I saw all the cars and thought you were hosting a baby shower :)