Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My own little bowl of radishes....

Do you remember the story of Repunzel? The story begins with Repunzal's mom having an overwhelming craving for rampion. It consumed her every thought until she attained it by convincing her husband to swipe some from her mysterious next door neighbor.

That craving essentially cost Repunzal's parents their first born child....Sheesh! That's a steep price. (I guess the moral of that story is 'Never steal garden vegetables from neighbors who look suspiciously witch-like.)

I thought of that fairy tale when grocery shopping today. I saw plump, crunchy, gloriously delicious radishes on the produce shelf as they were screaming my name. I had to eat them! Happily, I grabbed those little red orbs of crunchity goodness and went home...although, I did pay for them since the produce clerk did look a bit mysterious.

The time for me to savor them came when Sunshine and Bunny were invited over to the next door neighbors and I had a moment to myself. There I was, with Button Nose on my lap. I savored the first bite. It was everything I'd hoped it would be...crunchy, a little tangy and scrumptious. On the second bite, our eighteen month old decided that she wanted to try some. Thinking those little radishes would be too much for her, I gave her a small bite. She decided she wanted more than that and pleaded for another....Turns out, that my own little bowl of radishes were exactly what she was craving too. She and I finished the entire bowl and wanted more. Good thing I bought 2 bunches today.



Besides, who wouldn't want to share with a face like this?

4 comments:

Keli said...

So true!! Who wouldn't want to share with a face like that!!! So sweet and so crazy, Radishes?! What adult taste buds she must have...come to think of it maybe she has my adult taste buds since I don't care for radishes much! :)

Dani said...

I love radishes! I am surprised your little one loves them so much. You are super nice to share.

Kelley said...

Do you seriously crave radishes? Trish, what about chocolate and cheesecake and yummy things like that? Well, okay, there is a really yummy dish I call the 4 P's that I do crave. Proscuitto, peppers, pasta, parmesan cheese, with lots of veggies and a little olive oil. YUM! It's making me hungry.

Anonymous said...

sounds as if we are related - I just bought radishes yesterday - grandma